ICRU held its Annual Meeting from 16-19 April 2016 in Rome, Italy.
Hans Menzel, Chairman of ICRU, opened the meeting with a welcome to all in in attendance and an acknowledgement to Elena Fantuzzi of the fine arrangements for the meeting. The Commission would also like to express their thanks to Monica Cimino.
Members of the Commission in Attendance
• Hans Menzel, Chairman
• Paul DeLuca, Vice Chairman
• Søren Bentzen, Executive Director
• María-Ester Brandan
• David Burns
• Peter Dawson
• Elena Fantuzzi
• Vincent Grégoire
• Roger Howell
• T. Rock Mackie
• Brian O’Sullivan
• Herwig Paretzke
• David Rogers
• Norio Saito
ICRU Staff in Attendance
• David Schauer, Executive Secretary
• Laura Atwell, Assistant Executive Secretary
Guests in Attendance
• David T. Bartlett, Co-Chairman RC 26; ISO Liaison
• Volodymyr Berkovskyy, Chairman RC 28
• Chris Clement, ICRP
• Paola Fattibene, Member RC 29
• Bernard LeGuen, IRPA
• Ahmed Meghzifene, IAEA
Review of Draft Reports
Working parties met to review and discuss three reports that are in various stages of development.
• Operational Dose Quantities for External Radiation Exposure (David Bartlett)
• Monitoring and Assessment of Radiation Releases to the Environment (Volodymyr Berkovskky)
• Prescribing, Recording, and Reporting Ion-Beam Therapy (Oliver Jäkel)
Dr. Paola Fattibene also gave a seminar updating the progress of the draft report of RC 29 on Retrospective Assessment of Individual Doses in Cases of Acute Exposure to Ionizing Radiation.
• ISO/TC 12 and ISO/TC 85/SC 2 given by David Bartlett, NRPB (retired)
• AAPM activities given by T. Rock Mackie
• IAEA activities given by Ahmed Meghzifene
• ICRP activities given by Chris Clement, ICRP Scientific Secretary
• IRPA activities given by Bernard LeGuen, Executive Officer IRPA
Welcome by Ing. Aldo Pizzuto, Director of Fusion and Technology for Nuclear Safety and Security ENEA Department
Nuclear Fusion Technology for a Safe Source of Energy (overview of up-to-date research activities and facilities for production of energy with nuclear fusion by ENEA) (Maria Teresa Porfiri, ENEA)
The Radiological Source Terms and the Related Quantities in a Nuclear Fusion Experimental Facility (for radiation protection purpose) (Sandro Sandri, ENEA)
Top-Implart Linear Accelerator For Proton Therapy: Layout, First Radiobiological Results And Experimental Strategy to Approach Preclinical Studies (Maria Teresa Mancuso and Antonella Testa, ENEA)
Hybrid Technologies vs Hybrid Knowledge: Is it time for a New Metric in our House? (Vincenzo Valentini)
Two vacancies on the Commission were filled by Drs. David Rogers and Norio Saito. Drs. Peter Dawson and Herwig Paretzke indicated they would not stand for re-election. Drs. Arturo Chiti and Pawel Olko were elected to fill those vacancies. Officers elected were: Hans Menzel, Chairman; Paul DeLuca, Vice Chairman; T. Rockwell Mackie, Secretary/Treasurer; Søren Bentzen and Vincent Grégoire were elected as Executive Directors.
Other business included discussions of ICRU finances, obligations of sponsors, report committee status, publication schedules, new initiatives, future operation of ICRU, Gray Medal award for 2017, and plans for the 2017 Annual Meeting.
The following committees are in final publication stage:
• Prescribing, Recording, and Reporting Brachytherapy for Cancer of the Cervix (reviewing page proofs)
• Key Data for Measurement Standards for the Dosimetry of Ionizing Radiation (submitted to OUP)
• Prescribing, Recording, and Reporting Stereotactic Treatments with Small Photon Beams (final changes being made before sending to publisher)
The following committees are actively working on draft reports:
• Prescribing, Recording, and Reporting Ion-Beam Therapy
• Bioeffect Modelling and Equieffective Dose Concepts in Radiation Therapy
• Operational Dose Quantities for External Radiation Exposure
• Monitoring and Assessment of Radiation Releases to the Environment
• Retrospective Assessment of Individual Doses in Cases of Acute Exposure to Ionizing Radiation
• ICRU Composite Glossary
•Treatment Planning for Radiopharmaceutical Therapy
New Work Approved by the Commission
• Dose Prescription, Reporting and Recording in IMRT
• Imaging for Assessment of Response in Oncology
Discussions on Potential Work for the Future
Possible work for the future included:
• Cross Section and Stopping Powers for Electron Energies E
The next Gray Medal will be awarded in 2017. Call for nominations will take place in 2016.
The next meeting of the Commission will be held in Mexico City. Meeting arrangements will be handled by Dr. María-Ester Brandan.